In the years preceding (sic) the World War we note the appointing of an historical committee and the writing of a short sketch of the lodge by Bro. Chas. L. Dougherty; the first move toward organizing a Chapter of the Eastern Star; the replacing of the old candlestick at the altar by one using electric lights; the beginning of the custom of presenting to each outgoing W.M. a Masonic emblem ring; and the observance of the 75th anniversary of the Lodge.
The years 1916, '17,'18, saw the whole country immersed in the tide of emotion and patriotism of the great war, and the effects on the lodge were manifested in several was (sic). There were many petitions for the degrees and attendance at the meetings increased. This is a psychological phenomenon that accompanies all wars and was noted in the days preceding and following the war with Mexico, the civil war and the Spanish-
In September, 1917, it was voted to remit the dues of all members serving in the united States Army and Navy' A Service Flag of l6 stars was made showing the name of every member enlisted in active service and an identification medallion was given each one represented on the flag' In November, 1918, there occurred the first war casualty among the membership. This was Bro. Seldon Murray who died of influenza in Rouen, France. He was attached to Base Hospital Unit No. 10, A.E.F.
After the war there arose in the lodge a feeling that there should be in Liberty a Masonic Temple worthy of the needs and standing of Masonry in this community. This same feeling pervaded many of the lodges of Missouri in the years following the end of the war and many Masonic buildings were erected that became financial burdens too heavy to carry. Liberty Lodge went so far as to appoint a committee of l5 to act with similar committees from the Chapter and Commandery. This committee held numerous meetings, considered many plans, investigated several financing schemes, and finally agreed that the lodge would be unwise to embark in a venture whose financial burden would embarrass the membership for years to come. They recommended that the Lodge, chapter and the Commandery invest their surplus funds and add to them year by year until sufficient money was in hand to build the structure desired. This recommendation was adopted and led to the forming later of the Masonic Building Association that has so wisely handled the funds entrusted to them that they have been able to buy the ground floor of the building of which our lodge hall is the second floor and there is now in the treasury cash and investments to the amount of $7.000.00.